Wednesday, July 11, 2012

oh, this is the part where i'm supposed to relax



We left for the beach after church on Sunday.  We had a pretty uneventful trip down with only two stops, which I’m pretty sure is a record for me.  We made it to within an hour of our destination before I heard the first “are we almost there?”  From that time until we actually got here was a little torturous, but such is the nature of a road trip.  I pity those people who take seriously long road trips!  Thankfully, the movies and games we brought did the job and busied the kids for most of the time.  Oh, and the napping helped too!













Although our vacation started on Sunday, it was yesterday that I finally began to feel relaxed.  I don’t like to be called a control freak, but it’s probably an accurate description.  Being out of my element, but with the kids lends itself to me feeling a little out of control; worrying about meals, medicines, and naps.  Wanting everyone to have a good time, but not wanting the kids to wander too far or bother everyone within a ten-mile radius with their loud talking and constant pleas for attention.



I guess that yesterday I just started to settle into the vacation routine (yes, even on vacation we have a routine).  I love the beach!  We all do, really.  I know for sure that Chris and Christian would move here...like, tomorrow if they could.    





So, today I’m taking it all in.  
I watched the sun come up over the ocean this morning.  There is such majesty and wonder in that.  
Something about the ocean, the constant slapping of waves on the shore, the beauty as far as you can see, speaks to the innermost parts of my soul.  Instead of all that making me feel small or insignificant, it makes me unspeakably grateful that the Creator of all that knew every step I would take before I even came into this world.  

Deep breaths, I tell myself.  Enjoy these moments (even the ones where the kids are too loud and I don't get to sleep in and Christian asks for one thousand eighty-third time if we can go out the beach now).  This is the part where I'm supposed to relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment