Sunday, July 29, 2012

taco seasoning

  A few months ago I told you about a recipe for Salsa Crockpot Chicken and it is completely fantastic!  I serve this over a plate of chips and call it nachos.  Easy and tasty.  Score.  In that same post I also mentioned that there was a recipe for making your own taco seasoning.  I said I'd get back to you on that but mostly forgot I said that...so this is me, getting back to you...six months later.  
I'm not generally a make-everything-from-scratch sort of gal.  If we are out to eat and taste something great, Chris will frequently try to figure out how to make it at home.  I'm pretty content with just going back to wherever we ate it and ordering it again. :)
All that said, my favorite thing about the salsa crockpot chicken is that it included a recipe for making taco seasoning.  I'm not sure what it is about pre-packaged taco seasoning, but the indigestion that will undoubtedly follow whatever I eat that has that in there is just not usually worth it to me.
So I guess you can just chalk this up to one of those weird things that stay-at-home moms do.  I now make my own taco seasoning.  The only ingredient that I didn't have in my spice cabinet already was cumin.  By the way, it's the thing that gives taco seasoning that distinct smell.
Here's the link where I got it, but I've also included the recipe after the pictures.  If you make your own, let me know how it goes!







Just in case you're curious, this is a double batch.



Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container.

Source: AllRecipes


   

No comments:

Post a Comment