Friday, June 22, 2012

summer nights

Last night was the kind of night that summers should be made of.  Ones where family or friends get together and baths and bedtime are pushed a little later than usual.  Ones where you get to feel just a little mushy because you know enough to be thankful for the bits and pieces of amazing that make up your life.
Yesterday was Dad's birthday, so Andrea, Dusty, and the kids came over for dessert, followed by some outside time for all of  us.  I love it when we're able to spend time together like that.
No big plans.  No rushing around.
Just really enjoying those moments.
And I know at least one person who'll be relieved to know that I relaxed enough that I even went to bed with a sink full of dishes.
 
Once everyone had gone home, Christian came giggling into the house to tell me that he and Daddy had caught some fireflies (which I will always call lightening bugs).  He was so excited, and I couldn't help but smile as I remembered doing the same thing when I was a kid. 
We stood around and watched the mason jar of summer lights for a few minutes.  Christian decided that maybe he wanted to do this every night.  Once the boys walked away to get cleaned up and ready for bed, Audrey told me that she liked those bugs and wanted them out of that jar.
It was a sweet night all around.   
In those moments between collapsing in bed and dozing off for the night,  I couldn't help but be in awe of what I've been given.




I know...not very domestic with my store-bought cake.













1 comment:

  1. Audrey's pigtails are edible! So sweet! And Chris' table? You've got a seriously handy husband! Three cheers to leaving dishes in the sink. I swear you and I are cut from the same cloth. It takes some serious relaxation for me to do that!

    ReplyDelete